Saturday, March 10, 2012

Moebius Is Dead

There was rotten news to wake up to this morning: French comics legend Jean Giraud, aka Moebius, has passed away.

This past fall, I had the pleasure of meeting a neighbor who is an artist and designer (and builder and inventor ... all very cool). He showed me some of his artwork, fantastic, thin-lined illustrations of people on flying contraptions against alien-looking landscapes. I said to him, "I don't know if you'll think I'm crazy or not, but what this reminds me of is Moebius." He immediately smiled and agreed, noting how much he admired Moebius' work.

Moebius, one of the creative geniuses behind the French comics magazine Metal Hurlant (which came to the U.S. as Heavy Metal and to Germany as Schwer Metall and to other countries under other names), leaves behind a staggering amount of work from around the world over many decades. Below is just a sample.
From 2012-03-10
From 2012-03-10
From 2012-03-10
From 2012-03-10
From 2012-03-10
From 2012-03-10
From 2012-03-10

No comments: